The Hull-Daisetta Independent School District is a public Pre-K through 12th grade school system that serves the very small rural communities of Hull, Daisetta and Raywood, TX with a total population of 1,500 residents among the three communities. Serving just under 500 students, the school district’s mission is to provide a safe, healthy environment where ALL students’ needs are met, all the while recognizing that the needs of this community are very many – even before Hurricane Harvey made its presence known to the area.
Hull-Daisetta Ind. School District serves a low-socioeconomic community in which 100% of the student body receives free breakfast and lunch. In the wake of Hurricane Harvey’s path of destruction, Hull-Daisetta finds itself with a new set of challenges: The Hull-Daisetta Elementary School was left a total loss.
- All contents of the buildings were deemed contaminated and were destroyed.
- The walls were taken down and the floor tiles removed. The buildings are only shells.
- Many teachers lost not only the school-purchased supplies and teaching materials, but the materials and “personal touches” that made their classrooms special that were paid for from their own pockets.
- Some of the teachers had 10-25 years’ worth of teaching materials that had been gathered through the years.
- The library lost 12,899 books along with many of the teacher’s classroom sets of books, totaling well over 1,200 books.
In addition to the loss of the school and their materials, many of the elementary students and several of the teacher have lost their homes. Many of those items like furniture and clothing can be replaced; however, the pictures, mementos and toys that were sentimental reminders of happy memories cannot be replaced.
The Hull-Daisetta Independent School District is committed to recover – to return to classrooms with chalkboards, student desks, and positive attitudes and the faith they will come through this tragedy and they will come out stronger, braver and wiser than ever before. But… they need our help!
Truck for Texas is planning on collecting tax deductible donations to do our best to help this school system rebuild their school and revive hope for this community.
- The school district is preparing a list of items they need to re-stock classrooms with needed items. Donations can be made online from this website.
- Our goal is to provide gift cards from a Teacher’s or School supply store to the teachers so they can decorate or resupply their classrooms with materials they need. With these gift cards they can purchase items such as:
- Teaching Materials
- Classroom Supplies